Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Backlog manager tool

Just wanted to share our "Backlog Manager" excel file, which we use in all our teams.
I'll try to make some posts here with further explanations, information and thoughts surrounding it, but for now I'll just settle on providing the link to the file.

It should work both for Microsoft Excel 2003 as well as Microsoft Excel 2007. It is possible to open in OpenOffice Calc too, but I don't think the Macros work.

NOTE! Buttons doesn't work (nothing happens when you click them?)... Well then you have to enable Macros in the security settings. See the little notice that appears just below the menu/toolbar in Excel when you open it.

Here's the link:
BacklogManager-v8.xls
(Updated 2009-01-23)

Credit to Henrik Kniberg for the original, which I have incorporated into this sheet. The index card generator and the index card template is full credit to him (although I refined his version a little and edited parts of his VB code).

8 comments:

  1. Many thanks! Vi är själva mogna att förbättra vår Scrum-implementation och estimering/uppföljning för att veta hur mycket man pallar per sprint. Tack för Excelen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Spännande! Lycka till!

    I updated the backlog manager when I discovered that I had uploaded it with protected sheets. I removed the protection. Edited the blog entry to link to this new version instead.

    Cheers
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping Backlog Manager can help our distributed team in 4 locations access our backlog more easily. I downloaded the file and unzipped it, but I'm not seeing how to open it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol,

    I have updated the tool recently, so it should work in MS Excel 2003 now too.

    Don't forget to enable macros, or it won't work.

    Let me know if it still doesnt work for you...

    Regs
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh! That did it! File opened fine - very nice!! Only one problem: the Cards button is not finding any stories, though macros are enabled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Copy-paste errors! :-)
    It can happen to the best of us ;-)

    Now it should work. Download the file again (I have just updated it on the FTP server).

    Cheers
    /Richard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! Thanks, Richard! This is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. COEPD LLC- Center of Excellence for Professional Development is the most trusted online training platform to global participants. We are primarily a community of Business Analysts who have taken the initiative to facilitate professionals of IT or Non IT background with the finest quality training. Our trainings are delivered through interactive mode with illustrative scenarios, activities and case studies to help learners start a successful career. We impart knowledge keeping in view of the challenging situations individuals will face in the real time, so that they can handle their job deliverables with at most confidence.

    https://www.coepd.us/certified-it-scrum-developer.php

    ReplyDelete